Saturday, June 28, 2014

How about everything breaks at once?

So, this week I finally undertook a repair on my car that I'd been putting off for a year. Since I am selling my car to Nick's brother, I wanted to make sure he gets it in good condition. Felt good to check that off my list.

Then Thursday, about an hour and a half before our POD was supposed to be delivered, Nick went to take the trash out and heard a telltale hiss from the front passenger tire of Harvey and watched as he sank closer and closer to the ground. Awesome. We kicked it into high gear, jacked that thing up and after some struggle, got the tire off and to a local mechanic. Turns out, instead of a new tire we just needed a new valve. The rubber had dry rotted and simply needed to be replaced. I'll spend $20 over $200 any day.

Phew! Got the tire back and on Harvey in time to move him so the POD could be delivered in the driveway as planned. Yay!

Then, when I was moving my car (we have alternate street parking on our street and our driveway was full with the POD and Harvey), my breaks decided to almost not work at all. Seriously, I was pushing my foot all the way to the floor before they would even think about engaging. That's not scary when you're about to ask your common law mother in law to drive your car all the way across the country in two days!

Upon further inspection, we found my right rear break line was leaking something fierce and in all likelihood needed to be replaced. 

So, yesterday, I was up at 7 calling for a tow and arranging to have that fixed. Then we spent all day (seriously, y'all, wr were at it until after midnight.) packing the POD and doing as much cleaning as we could as we went.

My girl buddy Anastasia stopped by to add some much needed color and conversation to the day, and Nick's mom Pat made a surprise appearance and helped with some kitchen packing as well as vacuuming and mopping our ENTIRE upstairs. That was (understatement of the year) was completely unexpected and amazingly helpful. Thanks Pat!

Today, our POD got picked up bright and early (bye bye stuff! See you on the homestead!) and we picked up my car whose breaks are working great thank you very much Monro! Now, we're finishing up at 104 (why don't I clean the bathrooms like this on the reg?) My uncle Dave arrives tomorrow morning to pick up Nick's car so he can road trip it west for us (which is awesome, thanks again uncle Dave!) and our walk through is a bit after that. We'll say goodbye to Hillside Ave once and for all and spend the evening out at Nick's aunt's and then the open road calls us bright and early Monday morning! I can't believe this is all really happening. Super excited for the next phase of this adventure!


Yep. That's a flat tire. 


Jacking him up.


Oh yeah, we took the microwave out too since we never use it and it was adding a lot of weight and taking up a ton of space! Hello storage and home to soon to be acquired toaster oven!


Adulthood Tetris champ. 

"I just like how he's always leaning. Against stuff. He leans great." 
($10 to whomever names that quote.)






1 comment:

  1. Better it happens now! All of it! Karma is in your corner. I can't believe you are ready to go. I really can't believe you took time out of your day to post this. Thank you. You are very hard workers. Happy trails. It's gonna be so much fun. p.s. Nick is almost as thin as Uncle Wayne. Also, almost as cute (no one is cuter than Uncle Wayne). I love you both! Be safe and prosper!

    ReplyDelete